Monday, March 28, 2011

The Joy of Teaching

Will Windsor Erwin, the author of the following post, is currently leading a Young Actors Workshop class and will be teaching the Young Actors Company class that is enrolling now.

“Boppity Bop Bop Bop!”
“Zip! Zap! Zop!”
“Teapot. One, Two, Three!”
The combination of words may sound odd to some, but these are just some examples of the strange games played within Montgomery Theater’s youth theatre classes… and I couldn’t be more thrilled to help lead them.
After spending the last two years earning my MA in Theatre, up to my ears in theatre theory, writing, acting, and defending a thesis, and applying all I’ve learned in actual practice I was burned out. I spent all-nighters creating production histories, visual files, annotated bibliographies. I wrote papers, papers, and more papers.
I didn’t hate graduate school. I loved it, in fact. I made some amazing friends, worked with talented professors, designers, and directors. I participated in a play that took place in and around a water-filled pool. I even shaved my head.
All in the name of theatre.
And after the whirlwind was over, after all the Pomp and Circumstance, after the degree arrived (much mangled) in the mail, I felt like a piece was missing. And suddenly… the piece arrived.
My time at Montgomery Theater has reawakened everything about theatre I thought I’d lost. I am free to imagine again and can play these games with a refreshed view and vigor. And it has come to me through the excitement of the children I work with in Montgomery’s youth classes.
I have two rules when I teach a class:

1) NO NEGATIVES.

2) HAVE FUN.
I implement these rules because I want to create a positive learning atmosphere. How can ANYONE let go and be free in the fear of someone laughing at them? With so much negativity out there, theatre is the one safe space I have left… and I wanted to make sure the space was there for the young ones willing, eager, and able to learn.
As much as I try to teach my students about the aspects of theatre:
about vocal control, working as a team, about being fearless to try new things, and, most importantly, about OWNING POSITIVE SELF ESTEEM… they have taught me more.

I had forgotten what it was like to let go of everything. I had forgotten what it was like to first learn about theatre. What it was like to let my imagination run wild. What it was like to be a kid.
I cherish the time here at Montgomery because I am constantly surprised at the students’ continued wonderment within each class I teach. I am inspired to see the shy student break out, or the “bossy” student take the step back into the ensemble. And I am empowered knowing that every ounce of self esteem I have helped plant and nourish will aid my students in every step of their lives.

- Will Windsor Erwin

1 comment:

  1. ha, I will experiment my thought, your post bring me some good ideas, it’s truly amazing, thanks.

    today news

    ReplyDelete